Any draughtsman, designer, architectural technologist or architect that provide an architectural service of any kind, with regards to new buildings or alterations and additions, must be registered with the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) to do so.
The only architectural work where a non-registered person may provide an architectural service is as follows:
- Plans for a wendy house
- Plans for boundary or garden walls
- Plans for internal alterations to a house, shop or office
- Installations of replacement windows to a house, shop or office
- Conversion of part of a shop or office to a flat or other residential accommodation
- Installation of fittings, appliances in a house, shop or office.